Ready to consider traveling to Ukraine to take in the sights and meet a lovely lady? We've assembled some of the best tips for trips to Ukraine from actual travelers:
Before You Go
- Research with the Ukraine Consulate before you go. You can find out about current advisories, document requirements and other details.
- Register your trip with the US State Department’s STEP program. This is a quick way to get information about the area automatically sent to you.
- Call your credit card company before you go to let them know you are traveling internationally. Otherwise, they might suspect fraud and freeze your account.
- Memorize the Cyrillic alphabet before you go. Even if you don’t speak any Russian or Ukrainian, you’ll be able to sound out many signs, menus and more.
- Most Ukrainians also speak Russian; if you are going to learn a few phrases of the language, go for Russian.
- Learn phrases that are handy in travel.
Culture in Ukraine
- Bring a small gift when visiting someone in their home. Chocolates, imported liquor or flowers are all good choices.
- Take off your shoes when entering someone’s home. Slippers will usually be offered.
- Accept food and drink when offered. Your host may find it rude if you do not.
- But, don’t feel that you must accept second or third servings. In Ukraine, hosts typically keep offering food until their guest refuses. This way, they know that their hospitality has been adequate.
- Don’t feel offended if strangers don’t smile at you. Ukrainians are often more reserved than Americans in this regard.
Out and About
- In most cities, you will be able to get cash from ATMs. This is often the best way to get the best conversion rate.
- Dress as Ukrainians do. While shorts and t-shirts are fine if you are visiting the beaches, nice slacks and a button-up shirt are more appropriate in the city.
- Avoid walking alone late at night. Taxis are inexpensive. As with any other part of the world, exercise common sense.
- Keep some change on-hand for public toilets. Many outside the large cities require a fee to use them.
- If you are adventurous and thrifty, consider going with an apartment rental agency over a Western-style hotel. Hotels are usually far more expensive in Ukraine.
- Tip servers in restaurants. A usual tip in most of Ukraine ranges from 10 to 20%.
Still looking for the perfect woman? Log on now and meet eligible Ukrainian ladies.
Photo: sxc.hu user Kolobsek